Saturday, May 21, 2011

What I really want...


"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.
I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.
I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.
I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."
— Marjorie Pay Hinckley

 {Maybe I could drive up in a Toyota Land Cruiser with mud on the wheels instead of the station wagon, and maybe I could have my hair beautifully messy from babies pulling at it, And maybe a chip in my french manicure from helping weed someones garden, And I don't mind if there's peanut butter smeared on a cute blouse, Or sticky kisses on my cheeks, over my makeup, Could I do it that way?} I still have a way to go, in loosing myself in the service of others, But I'd like to be better, and the only way to do that is to practice. I look at my grandmother who was the epitome of a compassionate, loving woman who did EVERYTHING for everyone, and served the wants of others before her own needs. I want to be like her. I love the joy that comes from service. It's the little acts of service that make the biggest difference. Comforting a sobbing child, Providing a meal for someone in need, The small and mundane things of this mortal life. 

“God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other in the kingdom. So often, our acts of service consist of simple encouragement or of giving mundane [ordinary] help with mundane tasks, but what glorious consequences can flow from mundane acts and from small but deliberate deeds!”
- Spencer W. Kimball

 “The sweetest experience I know in life is to feel a prompting and act upon it and later find out that it was the fulfillment of someone’s prayer or someone’s need. And I always want the Lord to know that if He needs an errand run, Tom Monson will run that errand for Him.”
Thomas S. Monson

I want the Lord to know that he can call on me and trust me to listen. For him to know that if he tells me something through the spirit, that I will drop whatever I'm doing and run that errand for him. I want to be an answer to someones prayer. Even if it's helping a little boy find his lost lightening Mcqueen tent after he's prayed with all sincerity of his heart to find it. Give yourself credit for the little acts of service you provide without even knowing it. And listen to know who you can be an Angel of the Lord to.

No comments:

Post a Comment