Saturday, June 11, 2011

Cheap freezer lunch!

I always need super easy lunches, well this one takes the cake. It's super fast, easy and cheap! I made bagel pizzas and froze them. I give them to my kids with some fruits and veggies for and EASY lunch.

First, start with the sauce, for several reasons I make my own sauce. One, that's how I grew up, my mom always made the sauce, two, its WAY cheaper, three, It tastes better.
Here's the recipe I grew up with.

1 can tomato puree
1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. basil
1/2 t. pepper
1/4 t. garlic pwd
1/4 t. onion pwd
4 t. grated parmesan cheese
1/2 t. salt.
Mix it all together.

For these I just used whole wheat bagels from Costco.

 Put the sauce in a ziplock bag like you would a piping bag. It's faster and cleaner than trying to spread it with a spoon.

 Then spread the sauce out.
 Add the cheese.
And freeze! I vacuum sealed mine so that they could last in the freezer for a while without freezer burn, but if you plan on using them within a few weeks or months you could just ziplock them.
Bake at 450 for 15-20 min.

Total cost for 12 bagel pizzas...
Bagels- $2.00
Homemade sauce-$.25 thanks to tomato puree BOGO at Publix and a coupons.
Leftover cheese- I used about $2.00 in cheese ( I buy it in bulk at costco)
Total cost for at least 6 lunches for my munchkins... $4.25.
Not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment