Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Branching out!

I have always been a lover of vegetables, but there are a ton of veggies or varieties of veggies I just didn't buy because I didn't know what to do with them, or was nervous that the rest of my family wouldn't eat them... So today was our delivery day for our Organic produce. And since I have some things I don't normally buy, I have to use it... Remember, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without?" Well, we are using it! Can I say YUM! So, for lunch I had the greatest tasting orange tomatoes, A million times better than red vine tomatoes...I could eat the whole dang bunch with a bit of sea salt! For dinner, we had these gems...
Purple potatoes. The purple spud's striking pigment is its nutritional crown and glory, courtesy of the antioxidant powerhouse anthocyanin, which is responsible for the purple and blue colors of fruits and vegetables. This flavonoid has been shown in studies to possess anti-cancer and heart-protective effects, as well as benefits such as boosting the immune system and protecting against age-related memory loss. So, what do you have to loose? Try them! I tossed them in some olive oil with a bit of fresh grated Parmesan cheese, sea salt and pepper and roasted them at 375 for 25 min. DEEEE-lish. We had it with some lemon chicken breasts and dang it, I wish I'd had some green and white asparagus, it would have made it perfect! But we had to settle for peas because that's what we had. I have big plans for the rest of these babies. I'm going to try some Baked chips...
I've never tried to make them before, So we'll see how it goes. But aren't they pretty!
I'm super excited to use the rest of the food we got this week.
  • Tons of spinach, I love it, I could never have enough...
  • Purple potatoes
  • Fuji Apples
  • Bananas
  • squash
  • zuchinni
  • cucumbers
  • eggplant
  • orange tomatoes
  • avocados
  • blueberries
  • nectarines
Yeah, I think I'm pretty much convinced to go to a once a week delivery. I think this is going to make it a lot easier for me to get out of my cooking routine {You know, making the same 5 things every week} And I also think that it will help me minimize my trips to the grocery store, hopefully that means less crap I don't need to throw into the cart, and more money in my pocket.

I am also thinking about a Quinoa banana pudding, for breakfasts...mmmmm....

1 comment:

  1. Veggies are awesome!!! Do you still want to get together for some gardening? It is the BEST!!! I just harvested all my carrots, ok yes they're about the size of my thumb and smaller but I'm not complaining when my son is sneaking out of bed to eat carrots behind my back haha. And every time I turn around he's got tomatoes in his cheeks lol. The winter crop has some fun stuff. txt me

    ReplyDelete