Friday, July 8, 2011

Salsa chicken


I'm back... after a fabulous mini staycation with my sweet buby who went back to work today... It was so nice to have him home. For the 4th we spent the day at the beach with the kiddos and had a great time. {Well, I laid there like a beached whale and Mike and my sister Tori played with the kids.} We went to the temple with the kiddos on Wednesday and yesterday was a pool day and we had the missionaries over for dinner. Salsa chicken... YUM! So here it is...

Enough chicken breasts to feed your family....
Coat the chicken with taco seasoning. {I make my own usually, {lower sodium and its cheaper} but if you have to use packaged, use the target brand because it doesnt have gross stuff in it, its just spices.}
Use a cast iron skillet. {so it can go straight from searing into the oven}
Sear the chicken breasts on each side on the stove in a bit of olive oil. {not cooking them, just a light sear}
Pour fresh salsa {or even better homemade} over the chicken and bake according to package directions. I cut my breasts into tenders and so my cooking time is 375 for 20 min. more if you use the full breast.
If you'd like you can add cheese on top for the last few minutes of cooking.
We usually serve over brown rice and top with lettuce, avocado, corn, black beans, cheese, and "sour cream" I don't ever use sour cream for anything, I always use plain nonfat Greek yogurt.

I also freeze this chicken and it makes great enchiladas, tacos, wraps, salads, and it makes for a super easy dinner to just warm up in the oven and pop some rice in the rice cooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment