Tuesday, April 12, 2011

One For The Money

    If you don't have a copy of one for the money,
                               I would encourage you to order one here.

My husaband and I live by this. If you have found yourself in a stressful financial situation, LEARN IT, LIVE IT, and LOVE it. I'll share with you a few of my favorite quotes and the 12 steps that will put your family in a better financial situation.
  • The American bar association has indicated that 89% of all divorces can be traced to quarrels and accusations over money.
  • These marriage tragedies are not caused simply by lack of money, but rather by the mismanagement of personal finances.
  • A prospective wife could well concern herself not with the amount her husband to be can earn each month, but rather with how he and she will manage the money that comes into their hands.money management should take precedence over money productivity.
  • Money management between husband and wife should be on a partnership basis, with both parties having a voice in decision and policy-making.  
  1. Pay an honest tithe. - Well that one speaks for itself, I could tell you hundreds of incidents in our married life that paying tithing FIRST has always made it all work out, even when the numbers didn't make sense.
  2. Learn to manage money before it manages you. -I wish I would have had some kind of "budget" before I got married, just to learn the process, it's been a very long road getting to where I am now. Now I'm not saying I'm perfect, But I've educated myself and think that I am much more fiscally responsible than I was even a few years ago. 
  3. Learn self discipline and self restraint in money matters. - I've learned that LuLuLemon is not a need. I can't even put myself near that store anymore because I have no self restraint, So I just stay away... simple fix.
  4. Use a budget. - I'll go over that in much more detail in another post. My best tip, when you're just getting started on a budget, take the debit and credit cards out of your wallet. Use cash and envelopes. No money means you can't spend more than you wanted to. WRITE EVERYTHING YOU SPEND DOWN! It will make you sick when you see how much you actually spend.
  5. Teach family members early the importance of working and earning. - easy example, my kids LOVE quarters, so if they ask for a quarter, they have to earn it, " I'll give you a quarter after you put the clean silver ware away."
  6. Teach children to make money decisions in keeping with their capacities to comprehend. - "save your money is a hollow statement," try " Blake save your money up so you can buy a new dinosaur."
  7. Teach each family member to contribute to the total family welfare. 
  8. Make education a continuing process. - Well, I can't really speak on this one, neither Mike or I have finished college...yet, I'm not saying it won't happen, but it's just not a good season of life for me, and well, Mike will eventually go back to school to be an institute of religion teacher. 
  9. Work toward home ownership. - And I don't think that means buy a house and owe the bank money, we've learned through our past financial experiences and the next house we purchase we will pay off in 15 years, not 30, and out payment wont be more than 1/5th of our monthly income. YES, that means that we will not live in a mansion, but I don't care anymore. As long as our needs are met, and I'm not putting my families financial future in jeopardy.
  10. Appropriately involve yourself in an insurance program. - costs associated with illness, accident, and death may be so large that uninsured families can be financially burdened fir many years. If you need an insurance agent, I can recommend an excellent one.
  11. Understand the influence of external forces on family finances. - inflation continues to offset a major portion of average wage increases. A larger paycheck may not mean more purchasing power, and should not be an excuse for extravagant purchases or additional debt.
  12. Appropriately involve yourself in a food storage and emergency preparedness program. - I know several families that in this tough economic time that are living off of their food storage. I bet they are glad that they spent the money on food when they had it and not on other "wants"

It really is a much better feeling to have money in the bank than it is to wear new clothes or buy everything in sight at target.

1 comment:

  1. ooh I've been looking for a good family finance book to start reading now that it's warming up.

    I enjoy anything by Dave Ramsey, too. It's a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete