Friday, April 27, 2012

Mexican lasagna

Didn't I tell you things would change again? Yep, Hasn't even been 48 hours and I've thought of at least ten more things to change on the forever house.
Today I spent the day helping my mom go through her closet and purge a bunch of stuff. That was a win win... She gained more space and gave away things she no longer needed, and I got some new outfits and some clothing pieces to re-purpose into some kiddos clothing.

Any how, I am fiercely loyal to my moms recipe for chicken enchiladas, But I have to say, these were a close second! Okay, maybe they were tied... But they are two totally different tastes. Very yummy! Try them!

Verde Chicken Mexican Lasagna {By girlsinaprons.blogspot.com}
1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded
1 (16-ounce) container sour cream
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 ½ cups green salsa
1 ½ cups frozen corn, thawed and drained
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chopped cilantro (plus additional for garnishing)
12 soft taco size flour tortillas
1 (8-ounce) package shredded Mexican blend cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 
Mix chicken, sour cream, black beans, salsa, corn, cilantro and spices in a large bowl. Taste and adjust
seasonings to your preference. Cut tortillas in half with kitchen shears.
 
In a 9×13 dish, scoop 1/3 of the chicken mixture into bottom of pan. Spread evenly. Place one layer of cut tortillas (about 4 tortillas) on chicken mixture to cover. Top with 1/3 of the amount of shredded cheese. Repeat with chicken mixture, tortillas, shredded cheese two more times. There should be three layers total.
 
Bake in oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and casserole is warmed through. Serve with sour cream and additional chopped cilantro. {You can't have too much cilantro on these!!}

I used corn tortillas because that's what I had. And I also used green enchilada sauce instead of green salsa because that's what I had on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment