Saturday, March 24, 2012

Hawaiian Haystacks

I have been so lazy lately... Well, It's not considered lazy if you're sick right? Another sinus infection... Bleh... And To answer your question, Yes, I did just have sinus surgery to fix that...No, It didn't work.

So, In the midst of being sick, I still had to come up with some dinner options. So, one night, I totally copped out and didn't want to defrost meat and smell that nastiness, {I don't know what I was thinking because I really can't smell anything right now} But whatever, The point is, I needed a 10 minute dinner. I looked through the pantry and saw a can of chicken breast... HMMMM... I've been seeing all these slow cooker chicken taco recipes, I wonder if I could throw some taco seasoning in and simmer this for a few seconds and call it a day?... You wanna know what... It was pretty good. At least the meat was. I ran out of taco shells and baked my own... Yeah, Not so tasty. Gross chewy texture. I don't recommend that. But the other awesome thing... It cost me like $2.00 in meat vs. Like $5 had I used fresh chicken breasts. Eh, I'm not saying I loved it more than regular tacos, But in a pinch, If I'm short on time, or don't have ground turkey, It'll work.

My other go to meal, Is called Hawaiian haystacks. {It's Mike's all time favorite food, Well, It may rank right below Krystals}
It takes like 5 minutes of prep time.
And I think these may be a western food, because when I talk to people from the south, they have no clue what these are, But everyone from Utah, Idaho and California know exactly what they are and have fond childhood memories of mama them on Sunday afternoons... It's kinda like when you ask someone from Utah what grits are... They look at you like you're speaking Chinese... But everyone in the south thinks you're an idiot if you don't know what they are... Anyways, Sorry, I got side tracked...Where were we... Ahhh Yes, The recipe...


You start the rice in the rice cooker.
The gravy is way easy...You ready for this awesome-sauce?...
1 packet of pioneer brand country gravy.
2 cups of chicken broth
1 can of evaporated milk
1 can of cream of chicken soup
Combine the gravy packet and the broth and boil for a minute. Add the milk & soup, and warm.
That's it.

Then you serve buffet style...
Rice on the bottom then the sauce

then you can add any or all of these toppings: {Or whatever else tickles your fancy...}

  • Chowmein noodles
  • toasted coconut
  • pineapple tidbits
  • green onions, thinly sliced
  • sweet bell pepper, diced or tomatoes
  • Frozen sweet petite peas, some people like them thawed and not cooked, I like them cooked and Mike doesn't like them at all.
  • water chestnuts, diced
  • slivered almonds, toasted
  • Grated cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment