Monday, January 30, 2012

Beans and apples

A friend of mine gave a phenomenal lesson in church a few months back. 
Thank you sister Jac "Awesome" Trunk. You'll never know how much that lesson impacted my life.


If you take a jar and try and fill it by putting all the beans in first, and then putting the apples in, They don't fit. However, If you take the apples in the jar first, and then pour the beans in, everything fits. 
The apples represent the big and important things. Serving others, studying the gospel, teaching your children, etc. The beans are the other little things, that yes, have to be done, but they are not as important. Dishes, laundry, running errands, things of that nature. 

You see, If you put the important things first, Everything else will fit. If you try to do it the other way around, there isn't enough room for it all. 

 A few excerpts from one of my favorite talks. The role of righteous women. Written by President Spencer W. Kimball-
"As you become more and more familiar with the truths of the scriptures, you will be more and more effective in keeping the second great commandment, to love your neighbor as yourself. Become scholars of the scriptures—not to put others down, but to lift them up! After all, who has any greater need to “treasure up” the truths of the gospel (on which they may call in their moments of need) than do women and mothers who do so much nurturing and teaching?"
 "Seek excellence in all your righteous endeavors, and in all aspects of your lives."
"We want our homes to be blessed with sister scriptorians— "

I want that to be me.
I want to be Sister Kyrsten Bomb diggity Hicks - the sister scriptorian.
{Sorry, There's a select few that that name will make sense to}

I have always wanted to know the scriptures. But I was never willing to put in the work that is required. I'd usually made time to, you know, put a check mark in the box so to speak. I'd go through the day and then as I was laying down to bed, I'd pull out my phone and read the shortest chapter I could find. I retained nothing. And you know, come Friday and Saturday I would study for my upcoming lesson. There isn't anything wrong with that, Reading the scriptures in any form is good. However, It wasn't going to get me the knowledge that I thirsted for. 

This past year I have really really tried to make studying the scriptures my priority. It hasn't been a small task. I can tell you that rarely during the span of 24 hours, do I have a second to myself. I've had to work around this. Usually I am interrupted 4 or 5 times during the course of an hour or 2 while I am trying to study. That's okay, It gives me an opportunity to teach my children what I am learning.

This year I am teaching the Book of Mormon in Sunday school and have really tried to focus my attention on it. 
 I have tried to put "everything else" {the beans} first and it has never worked out. 

Now, I have made studying the scriptures my priority, And I always have time for everything else. In fact, My life is much more organized and peaceful. I have more patience with my children, and I am more in tuned to the spirit. My home is filled with more love. If you feel like your life is missing something, This is it.
If you aren't a member of my faith, Please, read the Book of Mormon. What do you have to lose? If you read it and decide that it isn't for you, That's okay, We can still be friends! But I can promise you in the name of our Savior, that this book will bring you closer to God and strengthen your testimony of our Savior Jesus Christ. It will give you a greater knowledge and testimony of the bible and it's truthfulness. Your heart will be filled with peace and you will gain a deeper desire to follow and serve our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Your family will be strengthened and protected against the lures if the adversary. I know that because it has happened in my life. My life is more blessed because I have made a greater effort to learn from it's pages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment