Sunday, January 1, 2012

Resolutions?

We are super old people and didn't stay up to ring in the new year. We never do. And it's kinda sad...It is the night we got engaged after all.
That was the night... I guess we were old people then too, We look real excited to still be awake eh?
Awww, Weren't we cute? I'll spare you the engagement story. Long story short, Mike asked me to marry him in the Larkin's storage room. Whatever, The ring was beautiful, and so I said yes... Oh yeah, and Mike is pretty much the perfect man, {Other than his proposal skills}
So, onto the resolutions right?!?
 One year I asked Mike what his new years resolutions were. He answered me and said "I don't make them, I think they are stupid. If I find something or know something that I need to change, I start working on fixing it right then, When I notice that I am not where I want to be, Why would I wait until January 1st to start changing it?"
Point taken. I think for me when I make them it's a tool of procrastination. I'll wait until January to fix it. And I'll be honest, I have never stuck to a resolution 100% perfectly for an entire year. So this year, I kind of had a hard time coming up with my list. I have started to try and work on the things that need improvement in my life, When I notice that they need improvement. And I think that I have been pretty successful. I got the baby weight off, And then some {Thanks to being sick constantly} I have been diligent about studying my scriptures. I have made a huge effort to let the laundry wait a little bit longer and played dress up and Dinosaurs instead. Rarely do I raise my voice, {That's a big one for me, I grew up in a LOUD house} And I have been mindful of the budget. 

These past few months I have really tried to make my life what I want it to be. Spending time doing what I want to do. Spending time doing things that will make me who I want to become. Things that are really important in the long run. Learning that I have responsibilities only to God and to my husband and children. That the other things that seem to take away time from those things, are not important and don't deserve my attention. I think for the first time I am happy and content with where I have laid my priorities. I think for at least the time being, That I have it right, And that the things that I have chosen to work on and improve and focus my attention on, are pleasing to my father in heaven. 
I know that there is always room for improvement, and I am not saying that I am anywhere close to perfect. But the things that I know needed improvement, I am giving 110% effort to. I think that we are all too often thinking how much further we have to go and that we don't give ourselves credit for the things that we have done that deserve merit. So this year, My resolution is to remember that I am doing the best that I can, And to remember that the Lord is well pleased with who I have chosen to become. I may not be there yet, But he knows who I want to be, and he is ever so patient and loving. My goal is to see myself as he sees me, And to be patient with myself in my shortcomings.

No comments:

Post a Comment