Saturday, February 4, 2012

Don't you judge me... I like Tuna casserole.

My name is Kyrsten and I am a stress eater.

Mike and I have made a bit of progress in the home search. Nothing is written in stone yet, But we are pretty sure we have chosen the place. Now we are working on the detail$... Don't worry we aren't going anywhere too soon. I haven't been able to sleep very well, and all I want to do is eat. Now, the good news is I don't really have the time to just sit and eat thank goodness, Or I'd weigh a million pounds. However, When I do sit to eat, all I want is the good ol' comfort food that I grew up on. Enter tuna casserole... Now, I know everyone frowns at tuna casserole and sticks their nose up at it. However, This is not your mama's tuna casserole... It's MY mama's. And it's her mama's...

This is my FAVORITE meal ever. Just FYI It's not healthy. At all.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Grate 1 1/2 lbs sharp cheddar cheese.
One box of ritz crackers

Spray large casserole dish with non stick spray. (6 to 8 quart)
In large sauce pot over medium/high heat: stirring constantly
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon lawry's seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

(this makes the roux)
one the roux has come together

Whisk in 4 cups of warm milk
Boil that for 2 minutes, Whisking constantly.

Take off the heat and stir in 2 cans of strained and for flaked white chunk albacore tuna {Don't use cheap tuna that's just nasty}

Now layer sauce on the bottom, Then crackers, sauce, cheese, crackers, sauce, cheese, Etc. Until you get to the top and end with the last layer being cheese.
Bake for 35-40 min until its slightly browned and bubbly on top.

We serve it with peas~

If you are looking for the food storage version of this send me a message and I will put it up. Powdered milk etc... Also delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment