Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Pot roast and noodles.

So as I have been trying to drastically reduce our grocery bill. I have found myself reverting back to a TON of recipes that my grandmother used to make. Go figure it was because she was the queen of stretching a dollar!
When I was little, There was a span of time that my mom and I lived with my grandparents, and even after that, for several years we lived 5 minutes away from them. Now, let me give you a little looksie into what that house was like. My mom comes from a family of 15 children. Yes, They are all from my grandparents. No adoptions, no twins, no blended family. Now, As you can imagine, it was always a party. There were always tons of people around, and always tons of grand kids. My grandma, Bless her heart, would allow all of us {grand kids} to have a sleepover on the weekends. At least 10+ kids usually. Those are some of my most cherished childhood memories. Most specifically I remember lining up buffet style at the counter, youngest to oldest, in a line of at least 30+ people, being scooped up a heaping ladle full of pot roast and noodles for Sunday dinner. So, Here's my slacker version of my grandmas pot roast and noodles. 


No Yolks egg noodles. 1/2 of a bag

A can of Costco canned pot roast. NOT DRAINED. Just fork shredded. Don't knock it til you try it. I hate cooking raw meat, and this way you save yourself like 6 hours of crockpot time. And it's cheaper for us this way because we end up throwing meat away if I buy a whole roast. {And P.S these are things EVERYONE should have in their food storage.}

1 can {or box} of cream of mushroom soup.

1 pouch of onion mushroom soup mix.


Cook the noodles. Drain and set aside. 
While noodles are cooking,
Pour cream of mushroom soup and onion mushroom packet in sauce pot. Add 2 Tbs. flour. and 1 1/2 cups of water. Drain the liquid of the can of meat into the pot. {Not the meat yet} run your emulsion blender in the mix to make it smooth. Then turn the heat on and boil for about a minute until the sauce thickens a bit. Now add the fork shredded meat to the sauce. 

Now you can either mix it all together or you can serve the gravy on top of the noodles. We have it with rolls and peas. Super cheap, and it comes together in about 10 minutes. Rachel ray has got nothing with her time consuming 30 minute meals. LoL. Obviously she doesn't have 4 kids ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment