Monday, February 13, 2012

Skillet chicken and rice... And a trip to the Dr.

Do you ever have those days where you're glad the day has come and gone? Like, Bedtime is the best part of the day? Not really in a "My kids are driving me crazy" kind of way, just in a "I'm exhausted and just don't have any more to give" kinda way...
Yeah, Today was one of those days. I woke up with a sore throat, So no gym. That was strike one. Then I had to call and cancel the cable and switch our internet provider. Annoying and frustrating don't even begin to describe that process. Then I literally had to clean every room in the house because it was trashed as it always is from the weekend. While I was upstairs switching laundry, I heard Kynzi start to cry. But it wasn't a loud cry, more of a whimper or whine which didn't sound too urgent, So I finished switching the clothes and then headed downstairs. I come down to kids with lotion and water all over their heads and the carpet. And Kynzi doesn't have any clothes on and the top of her diaper has blood all over it... I turn her to the other side and see her beautiful, thick, light brown hair, Stained red and blood covering her stomach and the top of the diaper catching the blood. I started parting her hair carefully to find where she had gashed her head, and found a deep gash about a centimeter long. That was a bit of relief that it was so small. I was expecting something much worse from the amount of blood I saw, and shortly realized it looks far worse because the older two kept pouring water on her head. So I put those 2 in time out for the water damage mess, and rushed kynzi to the bath to get her cleaned up. Long story short, I was waiting to see if it would scab up on it's own before I took her to get stitches or a staple. I called the Dr. and let him know what was going on. I was right, It did scab up after about an hour and a half...And then she pulled it open again and it started gushing blood again. By this time my Mom had gotten to my house, and I chickened out and made her take Kynzi to the Dr's office and I stayed with the others at home. I couldn't stand the thought of having to watch her get a staple in her head. Well, The good news is, She did not have to have the staples or stitches. But that was strike two of the day. Then there was having to take a trip to target to get the juice boxes that I had forgotten on Friday. It took an army to wrangle all 4 kids through the store. That was strike 3. And of course Mike has a customer come in at 6:00 so that means he won't be home until 9 or 10 pm.
Needless to say I needed a fast and easy dinner so that I could get these jokers in bed ASAP.


Skillet Cheesy Chicken & Rice I adapted this recipe from a campbells kitchens recipe.


Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
Serves: 4
Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 can {or box} Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 
1/2 teaspoon lawreys season salt
1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
1 bag frozen vegetables (I use broccoli)
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese


Directions:

Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the chicken and cook for 10 minutes or until well browned on both sides.  Remove the chicken from the skillet.
Stir the soup, water, onion powder, salt, black pepper and rice in the skillet and heat to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low.  Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring once halfway through the cooking time.
Stir in the vegetables.  Return the chicken to the skillet.  Sprinkle with the cheese.  Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment