Friday, November 18, 2011

Potato cheese soup


Sometimes, You just need some good ol' comfort food. I have fond memories of eating this soup on freezing cold Boise Idaho nights as a kid. It's not, low calorie, But I'm not really a "Low Calorie" person per say... I'm a no artificial processed crap kind of person. Potatoes are healthy, But not "low calorie, or Low carb". I'm an athlete, I need carbs... Lots of them, especially right now, Nursing and training for races, and 6 days a week at the gym...You can't do that on a low carb diet. And have you seen how much my kids run? They need calories too. I'm totally rambling.... So, This recipe isn't for you if you are seriously on a diet... But I do not feel guilty feeding it to my family with a side of homemade wheat rolls.

6 cups of water
8 chicken bullion cubes (or the equivalent, I use the organic better than bullion from Costco)

bring that to a boil
ADD:
2 cups milk ( I use 1%)
1/2 cup flour ( I use whole wheat)
stir soup constantly. bring to a boil and boil for 1 min.
ADD: 3 cups cooked, peeled, and chopped poatoes
Bring to a boil.
Remove from heat.
Stir in 1 pound cheddar  cheese. Yes, You read that right... one pound. (I use 2% sharp cheddar.)


This is the original recipe. I think tonight I'm going to throw in some broccoli, celery, carrots, maybe some squash puree, etc, chopped super fine to get some more veggies in my kids. I mean, Or you could always go crazy and add bacon. I'm not a bacon fan though.

No comments:

Post a Comment