Wednesday, October 12, 2011

These will be the death of me.

HOLY CRAP THESE THINGS ARE GOOD!... I mean, If I had tasted any, I'd bet that they'd be good. You know, because I'm still on 40-30-30, and I don't cheat. Okay, So I took a little taste. It was teeny though. And it's the first time I have cheated in 4 weeks. My kids ANNIHILATED the pan of them in about 2 seconds.
I can't take credit for this recipe. Pinterest is going to be the death of me... Or the death of seeing 123 pounds on the scale. Will power has been taken to a whole new level folks. I LOVE LOVE LOVE sugar cookies. {As if I hadn't made that clear before} And I KNOW sugar cookies. I've tasted DOZENS of recipes made by a variety of people. And yes, I have my favorites, And no, I'll never tell whose cookies are my favorite. {Probably at least 12 of you reading this are wondering if it's yours... Wouldn't you like to know. It just goes to show how many awesome friends I have that brought a crazy pregnant lady cookies. Thanks guys. I really love you.} However... This recipe might be my new favorite. The texture is perfect, The icing is amazing... It's just LOVE in your mouth. And it's SO SO SO easy and fast.
I hate rolling and cutting sugar cookies and having to wait and refrigerate the dough. They are too much work and too time consuming. Problem solved. This recipe. And if you still really want cut out cookies, you can cut them out after they bake and cool. That's what I did.



Sugar Cookie Bars
Source: BreeAnn Fankhauser

1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla {I used a Tablespoon. I like vanilla okay}
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp lemon zest (optional) {I did not use it}

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Add vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda and stir with a whisk to combine. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Spread on a greased baking sheet (use a 13 x 18 pan). Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean (they won't look done so do the toothpick test). Cool completely and frost.

Frosting
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese (1/2 of an 8 oz block) softened
1 tsp vanilla {I used almond extract and vanilla}
¼ tsp salt
4 cups powdered sugar
5 Tbsp milk
food coloring (if desired)

For frosting combine butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, then add milk a little at a time and mix until smooth and spreading consistency. You may not need all the milk! Spread over cooled cookie bars.

2 comments:

  1. Did you just make those after I left? Good thing I wasn't there. I'd be really upset if my will power had been tested by those! ....and I know for a fact that it's not my sugar cookies that are your favorite! Oh, well, I can't have everything

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bite that I did have tasted like HEAVEN! However, My stomach is killing me. I guess that's what happens when you haven't had carbs and sugar in a month.

    ReplyDelete