Saturday, August 20, 2011

Service


Over the course of the last week we have been so blessed to have been ministered to by angels on this earth. We have been blessed by the medical care that we have received, and by the generosity of those around us. From meals, babysitting, rides to the NICU, entertainment for our children, and been the attention of many prayers. My heart is so full of gratitude for those who have offered to help and have had our family in their prayers. We have felt the Lords hand and have felt the prayers and thoughts of many.

I have often thought that it is peculiar that our church is so focused on service, But when we call another member, whom we know could benefit from our assistance, we are turned away. Myself being guilty of robbing another from receiving the blessings they could have had from offering service on my behalf. As Mike pointed out, Even our savior Jesus Christ accepted help. In Luke 22:43 an angel was sent to strengthen him while he was suffering in the garden. He didn't send the angel away. Don't you think he could have? He willingly accepted the strength that the angel rendered. If the savior received and accepted help, how could we ever think that we could do it on our own? Even if it's a simple meal, or a fun activity packet to entertain our children, accepting help cleaning, letting someone babysit for a few hours. Or a plate of sugar cookies. Nothing but good comes from service on both ends. I am a very independent person, And I like to do things on my own, and do them my way. But I have learned that I can't do it all on my own. None of us can. Sometimes, {especially right now}, I can't make dinner, and sometimes I need someone to throw in a load of laundry, or watch my kids for a few hours. That's okay.

In President Kimball’s words: “The Lord answers our prayers, but it is usually through another person that he meets our needs.”

1 comment:

  1. Man. I agree wholeheartedly. I had never really thought about the fact that even the Savior accepted help. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete