Saturday, August 6, 2011

Don't exchange what you want most...

"Don't exchange what you want most for what you want at the moment"

I came across this and I can't get this out of my head, I've been mulling over it for quite some time. How different would my life be if I had applied this principle my entire life? Well, for one thing, I'd have more money in the bank. I'd have less shoes. And I certainly wouldn't have as many dresses in the back of my closet I haven't worn but once. So, It made me get to thinking... What do I really want? We have a lot of goals. Financial and otherwise. I won't go into specifics, but I can tell you a few things that we've decided aren't as important as those goals, that we've decided to do without. At least for a little while.

A big rental house. When Mike and I were deciding where we wanted to rent, we went back and forth. Mike wanted to be around $1,000 a month. Well, on this side of town a 3 bedroom house that isn't ghetto rents for about $2,000 a month. The only way $1,000 was going to be possible was an apartment. I told Mike that was out of the question. With almost 4 kids, it just wasn't something I was willing to do. Well after searching and searching we got really lucky and found this town house. It was a compromise both of us could live with. Yes, It's a small 1500 square feet. And we are bursting at the seams, But it's temporary, and it allows us to save more money every month. Living in a rental house that has 4 bedrooms right now, Isn't as important as saving money for what we really want down the road.

Eating out. Mike used to eat out breakfast and lunch everyday. That doesn't happen anymore. And I used to take the kids to Chick fil a for nuggets at least 3 times a week on the way home from the gym. I think we've gone to Chick fil a twice in the last 2 months. It's not as important as saving money right now. And let's be honest, eating out was one of our biggest expense.


Couponing. Yes, I feel like it's a sacrifice. It takes a lot of my time per week. But me not doing it just because I don't want to spend the hours in the store and clipping coupons, isn't something that I can justify right now, because it does save us a few hundred dollars a month.

New, name brand clothes. Yes, I did have to just go buy Blake new clothes, But that's because I haven't bought the kid new clothes in over a year. And now, I make a goof bit of the girls clothes, or they just wear what we have. Can I tell you the last time that Mike or I bought new clothes? It was probably some time around 2 years ago. Really. Mike insists on wearing Payless shoes to work. It drives me insane. I hate it. I hate them. But he insists. And well, They are cheaper, and meet the need. And He insists on wearing them until he can't anymore. I mean this pair he has now has had a HUGE hole in them for at least a month, and he hasn't gone to get new ones yet. He's really taking this Use it up, Wear it out thing to heart, I guess. And I am very proud to report I haven't spent a dime in Lululemon in over a year. Okay, Yes, It has made it easier that I'm pregnant, And I can't guarantee how long that will last after I'm back in shape, but hey, It's a start!

A new Limited Avalon. I know for 100% fact that my cute little old man of a husband would LOVE a new Avalon. And, Yes, We could afford it. However, He's happy driving his little prius that is really cheap and saves us money on gas. But it's not important that he has one NOW. I'm not saying it won't happen, Actually, I've already given him permission to get it if he wants it. {Not that he has to ask, that sounded wrong, But we discuss with each other anything we buy over $100.}

 Don't get me wrong, We aren't going without. Our needs are met, and I don't feel like we're really giving anything up. We are happy with the things we have and grateful to be able to live this way. You know, peace of mind and security. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, yes, and yes. Sometimes we even have to give up things we need, to have things we need even more. But you know what? The big picture is definitely what's most important. I hate that I'm one of the people that's had to learn that the hard way, but, I am at least glad that I've learned it! And really grateful for a HF that's provided enough means along the way! Remind me to tell you about the principle of sacrifice and the temple next time I see you. :)

    ReplyDelete