Friday, June 29, 2012

Homemade hand soap... This is going to save you a LOT of money.




I told my mom I was going to be making hand soap. She said, "I have TONS of bars of natural soap I got on clearance at Christmas time at target." LIGHTBULB...
"Hey mom, I'll make you a gallon of it if you send me home with a bar for you and a bar for me."
This works out well for both of us. She got the 3 packs of soap for $2.50. So she only paid $.83 per bar of soap. And I don't have to buy a bar of $5.00 organic soap.
The glycerin was $2.29 at Publix {Its in the bandaid isle} I only used about an eighth of the bottle. Plenty leftover for future soap making. So that was $.29 cents worth of glycerin per gallon of soap.
And the gallon of distilled water was $.79 at Publix.
So, Thanks to my mothers awesome clearance shopping skills, I only spent $1.08 on a GALLON of hand soap. My moms cost per gallon was $1.91. Plus the $.83 cents for my bar.

Now, I've said it before, I am very picky about the soaps we use and I ONLY buy J.R Watkins. It's natural, not a lot of ingredients, ETC. I like it. It's about $4.99 a bottle. That bottle contains 11 Oz. 

Shea Moisture Organic Shea Butter Soap Bar


  
This is the soap I used. My kitchen smelled LOVELY.
 And it only took about ten minutes hands on time.
{Technically it made a gallon and this much. I filled this one up with what wouldn't fit in the gallon. That's why its not full...If you were wondering.}
One gallon is 128 Oz. So lets do the math. 

128 Oz of JR Watkins would cost me $58. 
128 Oz of this homemade soap cost me $1.08 {Thanks to my genius idea to have someone else buy the stuff and I'd do the labor. I like this system... } even if you bought everything yourself, and didn't get the soap on sale, It would maybe cost you $6 or $7. You would still come out way ahead.
So, Cost savings... A LOT.  Who the heck wants to spend $60 on soap? Not me, I'd rather spend ten minutes making soap and have that $60 for something else... Like sitting in the bank earning 3%. Every little bit helps right?

No comments:

Post a Comment