Thursday, December 1, 2011

So, As I was Black friday shopping I was at Target and saw this beaut!


The Dyson DC35 digital slim.
Oh you have no idea how BAD I want one of these. I've wanted one for so long. So when I was in Target at midnight and it was on sale $50 off, plus my extra 5% from my Target debit card... You can Imagine how happy I was! So, I threw that bad boy in the cart. I finished my shopping and then began wandering Target, {yes at midnight} Deciding on whether or not I needed it. Well, Yes, I do NEED a new handheld vacuum. The electrolux I bought sucks. {That's a whole nother blog post on doing without until you have enough to buy quality things. Instead of wasting money to keep replacing crappy items.} Anywho... So here I was in Target at midnight going over the pros and cons of buying this vacuum. Yes, I need a new one, Yes, I could afford it. And yes, It was a great deal on this particular vacuum. However, I couldn't get a hold of Mike to discuss it with him. Go figure he was asleep like a normal person at midnight. So after wandering the store for 30 min. debating on whether or not I should buy it, I put it back. I finally came to the conclusion that the entire reason we are in "No spending save as much as you can" mode, Is so that we can have those things later on down the road. And if I keep buying things I "need" We're never going to get to where we want to be financially. So, I came to a really important realization. {For me at least, Maybe you are already there}

Saving money and being able to eventually attain the goals that you set for yourself, Isn't just going without the wants for a little while. It's about going without the "needs" too. Does anyone really need a $300 hand held vacuum? NO. Would it make my life easier? Yes, But if I keep spending money on things I "need' It's going to take a lot longer than I want it to to get to where we really want to be. Would I rather have a huge retirement and a paid off house later on down the road? YES, Way more than I want that stupid vacuum.

Okay, I know that just because I didn't buy a $300 vacuum doesn't mean that all those things will come to be just because I have an extra $300 in the bank and no Dyson digital slim in the house. But it's the principle. It's learning to distinguish true needs and wants, And it's about the attitude I have towards money. Do I want this.... That will make me happy for the next day, Year, 5 years? Or do I want a better life for the next 50 years? Because I've learned to be in control of my "needs" and wants?
Which brings me to the next post... Next year {2012} Our goal is to live on 30% of Mikes income. And save the rest. And I'm going to show you how I'm going to do it.... After I go do some laundry and soothe some crying kids ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment